Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Are We Really Safe?

I thought I was prepared for the upcoming moments of the day.  They told me it would be this way. And yet the moment the AK-47 and the shot gun fired I jump out of my  seat and hit the floor face down.   Heart racing, pounding in my ears, hands shaking I sneak a look at the one’s firing the guns.  They yell, “Don’t look at me!!  Give me your phone and money!”  I slide my bag as gently as possible across the floor and with trembling hands reach into my bag and get out my wallet and set it on the desk for the ones that are robbing me.   I rest my head on the floor and wait for it to end.  The yelling quiets and I hear, “Let’s get out of here! The cops are coming!”  One guy flies by me and then………SILENCE.

Image result for safe
“ACEDEMIC MODE!”

This was the first of many situational role playing models that were simulated during the next 6 hours for our safety /security training.  They explained the importance of being prepared and not paranoid.  The goal is to know that we are able to go to Cameroon with a plan of action and awareness of situations that may occur.  We were told over and over again to remember Matthew 10:16- Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

This was just part of the 11 days in training with CMDA and Samaritans Purse for our medical mission work.  Chris and I were taught about cultural awareness and the differences that we may experience while abroad. We were given a tour of Samaritans Purse and shown the many aspects of the organization that is sending us.  Let me just announce that we were given wonderful training and information, and  I personally came away from the experience encouraged and at the same time slightly overwhelmed by the gravity of moving. 

I am extremely thankful that we are going with an organization that tracks their Missionaries and makes safety a priority.  This gives me great comfort as that is one concern that not just myself but almost every other family there expressed.  I know that ultimately safety can be an illusion, but in Christ is the safest place anyone can be.  I found this scripture; or rather this scripture found me and it brings me back to place that I can be assured.  Joshua 1:9- Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. Isn’t that awesome!! 

As always please keep us in your prayers during this time of preparation and transition.  If you will look to the right column there is now a space where you can enter your email address and it will add you to the loop to be notified when a post is made.  Please feel free to enter your email address there.  If you have any questions or things that you would like us to join you in prayer about you can email us.  It would be our honor to pray for you. 

The Giffords

“The Will of God will not take you where the Grace of God cannot protect you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment